Thursday, December 29, 2011

Do not be afraid to fail

Today I tried a craft project and failed miserably.  It was supposed to be a lovely project, but turned into a drippy mess.  Three times I tried to successfully try marblizing techniques on water.   Two different sets of clear and concise instructions were in front of me.  This was a project I had done years ago, so was not completly new.  For some reason, though, success failed me on a momentous level.  The paint sunk to the bottom or became completly watered down in the tub. Gloopy and globby or covering too thin.  The one print I tried was watery and runny.  Nothing went right at all.

I failed.

Instead of being a crushing blow or disheartening, it was refreshing.  The project was something I could try again another day, another time and know that with some more practice and reading I could find success.  The thought of overcoming the failure has opened me up to suggestions beyond the set of suggestions in front of me.  It has opened up my creativity to try again.

Trying again after failure leaves me freed and open.  Since I already failed, there is nothing to loose in future attempts.  I can try with more openness. 

So don't be afraid to try.  Don't be afraid to fail.  Sometimes failing is the best thing that can happen to you and create the best result.

No comments:

Post a Comment